From the press release
1. This is the first Presidential Election in 18 years. It is good that Singaporeans have had the chance to vote for their next President, and to focus on what the elected President is about. I thank the four candidates for putting themselves forward.
2. Voters have chosen Dr Tony Tan as our Head of State, to represent us at home and abroad, and to exercise custodial powers, including over reserves and key appointments.
3. This was an intensely fought election, and the result was very close. Dr Tony Tan and Dr Tan Cheng Bock (who had the next highest number of votes) both conveyed strong unifying messages, and declared their intention to work closely with the Government. Both have long records of public service – Dr Tony Tan in many roles in Government, and Dr Tan Cheng Bock as a highly respected backbench MP. It is reassuring that Singaporean voters recognised and valued their strengths, as well as their inclusive approach.
4. Voters faced a difficult choice between Dr Tony Tan and Dr Tan Cheng Bock. This explains why the winning margin is so narrow, and why the winner only gained slightly more than one-third of the total votes. Nevertheless, under our first-past-the-post system, the election has produced an unambiguous winner, who has the mandate to be the next President.
5. I have called Dr Tony Tan to congratulate him on his election, and assure him of my Government’s full cooperation. I also called Dr Tan Cheng Bock to thank him and his supporters for having fought an effective and dignified campaign.
6. Now that the election is over, we should all come together again as Singaporeans, to tackle the challenges that Singapore faces, and take our nation forward.
Congratulations from Syu Jeng-Chyang
udonthaniblog on China and North Korea udonthaniblog on Lurking in the Shadows—The Ris… Jeng-Chyang Syu on The Kitchen Tables Americans S… Jeng-Chyang Syu on IMF Chief, You must bail out t… Jeng-Chyang Syu on The Warnings of the G20
No upcoming events